The large territory of Firenzuola has 27 hamlets,
some entirely uninhabited and neglected:
Bordignano lies in a pleasant and sunny
position, with large chestnut woods.
Brento Sanico today is uninhabited. In the
town-planning scheme it's recognized like an excavation area of the "Firenzuola
stone". Some holy objects with great historical and artistic value
(among these a XII th century copper cross, with graffiti and some gilding
tracks) give evidence of his antiquity.
Bruscoli, open and pleasant hamlet near
Roncobilaccio and Pian del Voglio tollhouses. In the past was within the
Alberti's earldom of Vernio and Mangona, quoted by Dante Alighieri in the
XXXII nd Inferno's canto, verses 55-56. There is a little but interesting
museum, the "Museo storico etnografico", an initiative
of the local Archaeological Group, an association recognized acknowledged
by the Sovrintendenza of Firenze. The museum houses over one thousand objects:
archaeological finds, tools of the peasant civilization, war surplus of
the 2nd world war.
Caburaccia, hamlet with a warm agritourism.
Casanuova, sunny hamlet on the north slant
of Castel Guerrino, is famous especially because, ten or more years ago,
there was in the parish Church a
wooden polychrome group of the XIVth century: "The sorrow on the dead
Christ" now at the diocesan Museum of Santo Stefano al Ponte in Firenze.
Castelvecchio is at the source of the
Diaterna torrent, on the ridge of the Pietramala's Appennino. There is
a place-name very interesting and significant in the vicinity, the "Fossa
of Catilina" : according to an old tradition Lucio Sergio Catilina,
an opponent of the senate oligarchy, conspirator denounced in the Roman
Senate by Cicerone, died here.
Today there are sites for the construction of the Fast Speed railway .
Castiglioncello, once a little frontier
castle with 3rd class customs, today it's totally abandoned and neglected.
In 1821 grand-ducal soldiers stopped here for more than two months, in
order "to watch the Tuscan frontier", because the "German" troops
passed close when going to put down the Carbonari's rebellion in the Naples
Kingdom, like it was agreed in the Lubiana's Congress.
Some years ago here was filmed the movie "La linea gotica". This
movie represented, without a great success, Italy at the Cannes festival.
Castro San Martino, it's a little, pleasant
village on the left of Santerno's springs, along the provincial road towards
the Futa Pass.
Coniale, near the Santerno river, is patronized
by summer bathers, because it offers, near Pieve di Camaggiore, an exceptional
natural "swimming pool" and a perfect "solarium" of
withe and smooth stones.
In the Pieve there's a valuable wooden Christ, polychrome sculpure of the
XIIth century, today under restoration at the Florence Monuments and Fine
Cornacchiaia is an old hamlet, along
the provincial road towards the Futa, with an interesting millenary parish
founded, it seems, by St. Zanobi and rebuild by countess Matilde. Here
was born in 1897 the writer Tito Casini, who founded, with Lisi, Giuliotti,
Papini, Bargellini and others in 1929 "Il Frontespizio", a Florentine
Covigliaio is an health and holiday resort,
with excellent waters. Here stopped important men, like the Czar Nicola
I of Russia, Carlo Alberto of Carignano, Pio IX, Walter Scott, Gordon Byron,
Tyrone Power and the King Faruk.
Filigare is a charming little village at
the border with Emilia, near the sources of the Idice river. On the Granducato
border it was important 2nd class customs and today there is the beautiful
stone building, properly restored. The Tuscan poet Giosuè Carducci
was on holiday here.
Frena is a little hamlet plunged in an unpolluted
environment with secular chestnuts and wide woods of oaks, hornbeams and
beeches. It has a very old history, the name maybe was originated from
the ancient Ligurian people Frenati, who settled here.
Giugnola is splitted oddly into two parts
from the boundary line between Tuscany and Emilia. Here was born the cardinal
Antonio Bacci, very important Latin scholar, who translated into Cicerone's
language the encyclicals of many Popes.
Monti is a village near the border with Castel
del Rio (Bologna), sloping toward the Santerno river with hard and steep
crags, very sunny.
In 1034 Giovanni Gualberto dei Visdomini founded
at Moscheta an abbey, that became famous, where the monks of the
Vallombrosiani order devoted themselves to give assistance to poor, sick
persons and pilgrims. Today it's preserved from the initial period a cross,
probably of the XIIth century, in gilded copper with graffiti; "many
elements remind the Longobard and Carolingian art. The natural environment
where are the abbey remains, is very beautiful and with fresh air.
Peglio is a little hamlet on the south side
of an hill, one mile and half from the Pietramala Fires and two miles from
Pietramala and customs. Here was a fire like these (gas deposits), called "paradiso",
perhaps because it never caused troubles.
Piancaldoli is far away 25 Km from Firenzuola
and it's near the Sillano river (Rivus Sillae) sources. It has an old history,
it's remembered by Niccolò Machiavelli in his Istorie Fiorentine.
It seems , so assert the inhabitants, that here was born on October 15
of 1608 Evangelista Torricelli, famous mathematician and physicist.
Pietramala is a delightful summer health
resort. His reputation is due to the "fires", the phenomenon,
investigated with attention by Alessandro Volta, which was originated from
gas exhalations. Today there're methane wells, with gas pump. Pietramala
was one of the preferred places for the painter Telemaco Signorini, in
the last twenty years of life.
Rapezzo is an hamlet in an hill on the right
side of the Santerno "on the last crag of a spur of the Appennino
from the Campanara mountain. It has very few people.
Rifredo "is on the steeply cambered
Appennino", along the road that leads from Firenzuola, through the
Giogo pass, to Firenze. Here was born Giovanni d'Andrea, eminent jurist
who was a teacher at the University of Bologna and had as students Cino
da Pistoia and Francesco Petrarca. Here Dino Campana and Sibilla Aleramo
meet and had their first biblical acquaintance.
S. Pellegrino was a graceful and pleasant
hamlet along the road toward Imola, far 6 Km from Firenzuola, but today
is wasted in an irresponsible manner by the building sites for the high
speed railway. If we go away from the devastation sites, we can always
find environments in which we can live and rest in the wide and magnificent
S. Pietro Santerno is a little village
on the last south slope of the Coloreta Mountain "straddling the Santerno
river that flows at his base". It seems that its inhabitants erected
the Firenzuola castle, when in the 1332 was founded.
Tirli was very important, because had a castle
of the Ubaldini of Susinna. Today it has few people. It's on the main road
from Coniale to Palazzuolo sul Senio.
Traversa (or S. Iacopo at Castro) is an
hamlet on the left bank of the Santerno, at its sources, in an hill relief,
along the state road 65, near the Futa pass and at the foot of Sasso of
Castro. It's a pleasant holiday resort. During the second world war stopped
here first general Kesserling and after general Clark.
Le Valli today is a sunny and charming village
on a rise, surrounded by wide expanses of cultivated fields and meadows
sloping down toward Santerno river and Diaterna stream. It's far away only
few Km from Firenzuola, along the state road that lead to Casetta of Covigliaio.
It seems that in 1464 was buried captain Ramazzotto Ramazzotti di Scaricalasino
(Monghidoro) in its little church.
Visignano is a little village barely peopled.
In the parish church there are wide windows with the four evangelists and
St. Giacomo and St. Cristoforo , works of the Chini kilns of Borgo San
Lorenzo. It's a work of extraordinary artistic value.
© 1999 da Frazioni di Pier Carlo Tagliaferri